E2B partition placement problem.

Hello again!
Part II: Continuation of the vicissitudes.
I have decided to merge my Easy2Boot USB Pendrive #1 with my external USB HDD 500GB
used for my PC's internal HDD files backup so that I have
E2B boot & repair stuff (partition 1) + the PC's internal HDD's files backup (partition 2)
on a single device (the external USB HDD 500GB)
so that I later can get rid of the unnessesary USB Pendrive.
So I begun to install E2B on the external USB HDD 500GB
following instructions from:
http://www.easy2boot.com/make-an-easy2boot-usb-drive/make-and-e2b-usb-drive-using-rmprepusb/
I wanted 20 GB E2B partition,
but because space from 4 GB to 99GB on the external USB HDD 500GB is damaged (bad sectors)
I created 137 000 (137GB) WinPE & NTFS E2B partition (unticked Boot as HDD)
and then in some partition program I shrunk that partition from 137 GB to 20 GB from left to right, (as I did not see in RMPrepUSB a possibility to set start & end of E2B partition, only can set size, thus I had to use so trick) leaving first 99 GB as an unallocated space before E2B partition.
Then behind it, I created a second 346 GB NTFS partition for the PC's internal HDD's files backup.
Then I run "Install grub4dos" thing two times.
Everything completed successfully.

So I got following structure:
0 GB - 99 GB - an unallocated space
99 GB - 119 GB - the first primary 20 GB NTFS partiton with E2B boot & repair stuff
119 GB - 465 GB - the second primary 346 GB NTFS partiton with the PC's internal HDD's files backup

Then I copied all my boot images from Easy2Boot USB Pendrive #1 onto the external USB HDD 500GB onto E2B partition.

Then I begun testing phase 1:
1) I Rebooted my PC, and booted successfully to E2B menu.
Then I begun testing phase 2:
2) I Rebooted my PC again to OS, and run SWITCH_E2B.exe, and double-clicked one of imgPTN images to test imgPTN images UEFI booting, and I got an error:
MBR is not an E2B MBR ?
ERROR: MBR on drive 1 does not contain a partition near the start of the drive.
Use 'Safely Remove Drive' System Tray icon and re-insert USB drive.
But I cannot make a 20GB partition near the start of the drive because as I already mentioned before , space from 4GB to 99GB of the drive is unusable and damaged.
So now my question is: does E2B partition must be near the start of the drive?
If not, then how to solve the SWITCH_E2B.exe error issue? (maybe some hack/trick/sector swap?)
If not then maybe for ex. as first 4GB of the drive are undamaged I may create a small 4 GB primary E2B partiton and put E2B stuff there (it takes something like 600+MB) + some of the images and then behind the damaged space, make two logical partitions, and on the first one put rest of the images files, then edit somehow E2B settings to boot the rest of the images from this partition. (I have read somewhere on E2B webpages that this is possible). The second logical partiton will be for the PC's internal HDD's files backup.
This way I will have:
0 GB - 4 GB - the primary 4 GB NTFS partiton with E2B boot & repair stuff (some of the images)
99 GB - 115 GB - the logical 16 GB NTFS partiton with the rest of the images
115 GB - 461 GB - the logical 346 GB NTFS partiton with the PC's internal HDD's files backup
But I would rather prefer to fix the issue in a better way than complicated jugglery of partitions.
Steve, I know you can find the solution,
You are the man !
please help.
Thank You!
Marcinoo 05/05/2016

New comment

To Top