- First, copy an uncompressed .bmp or .jpg wallpaper file onto your E2B USB drive in or under the \_ISO folder (e.g. \_ISO\Mary\Special_800x600.bmp)
- Always run E2B_Editor.exe directly from the \_ISO folder on the E2B USB drive.
- If you don't have a .cfg file, load the \_ISO\Sample_MyE2B.cfg file directly from the E2B USB drive.
- Note: E2B_Editor.exe does not display animations or stamps, or the correct E2B version number and some other special variables (e.g. %day%).
- The E2B menus will display the filename extensions unless you tick Other E2B options - No file extensions in menus (EXTOFF=1).
- A Windows system
- Display/Monitor - 1152 x 768 pixels or larger monitor (if the vertical height is less than 900 pixels - e.g. 768, then E2Bed will use a borderless version of the GUI).
1024x768 will (just\almost) fit and E2Bed will be usable, 800x600 displays are not suitable!
- For the wallpaper, you will need a 800x600 or 1024x768 24-bit .bmp bitmap file (or a non-progressive .jpg file if using E2B v1.72+) - do not use a compressed .gz file!. Lots of .jpg progressive format wallpapers can be found here (note: Load into MS Paint and re-save as non-progressive .jpg).
Tip: 800x600 (4:3) is best - not all systems support 1024x768, e.g. most early netbooks.
Copy the wallpaper file to the E2B USB drive \_ISO folder (or any sub-folder).
- E2B_Editor.exe must be run from a writeable drive because it creates temporary files on the same drive.
- Should be run from the \_ISO folder on the E2B USB drive - otherwise you will not get the Language and Keyboard boxes populated correctly.
If testing E2B using QEMU or VBOX+VMUB, quit E2B_Editor.exe first, because the VM may make the files on the USB drive inaccessible which will cause E2Bed to display an error.E2Bed does not support Chinese/Japanese/Persian glyphs - you must edit the .cfg file afterwards using a text editor if you want non-ANSI characters to be saved in the .cfg file for the heading or footer text.
If you have a low-res display (e.g. 1024x768) ensure the Windows Display DPI setting is set to the Normal setting (96), otherwise it may not fit on the display and the menu will be out of proportion.
Using the E2B_Editor (E2Bed)
- Select a .cfg file (e.g. Sample_MyE2B.cfg or MyE2B.cfg)
Normally, you will have aready made a \_ISO\MyE2B.cfg file by copying the \_ISO\Sample_MyE2B.cfg file - however, if you do not have a .cfg file, just select the \_ISO\Sample_MyE2B.cfg file and a new file will be written when saved (either as New_MyE2B.cfg, or MyE2B.cfg if one does not already exist).
- Select a wallpaper background file (if applicable)
N.B. THE FILE SHOULD BE LOADED DIRECTLY FROM THE E2B USB DRIVE (otherwise the path in the MyE2B.cfg file will be wrong when you save it!)
E2Bed cannot load a compressed .bmp file.
MENU - these parameters control the position, size and colour of the menu entries
CENTREHD = 1 will cause all menu headings to be centred over each menu.
Note: The centre position will be shifted to the right if you use a HEADPOS that does not end in 00.
Language listbox - highlight the language that you want E2B to be displayed in (languages folders must be present on the same drive as E2Bed)
- Backup the old .cfg file into a MyE2B.bak file
- Overwrite the old .cfg file with the new values (or make a new file)
- Copy all lines that occur after the line containing '-- ADVANCED MENU SETTINGS ---' to the .cfg file. If the special line does not exist, you will be warned.
- Open the updated .cfg file in Notepad for you to view and edit if required.
Draw a menu box with the mouse
24-bit colours (e.g. FF00FF)
Note: E2Bed does NOT display a background highlight colour. It always uses a transparent highlight background.
4-digit colours - HCOLOUR and FCOLOUR (e.g. 0103)
Tip: If you want some text hidden (e.g. menu help text), then you can use one of the following methods:
- Use a rectangle in your bitmap background that is the same colour as your text, so that the text cannot be seen against that area of the background.
- or -
- Specify the start position for that text to be outside of the display area - e.g. setting tophelp=37 for a 800x600 bitmap, will place the menu help text off-screen.
[b=blink, I=Intensity, B=background colour, F=Foreground colour]
4-digit positions - HEADPOS and HBTM (e.g. 3201)
Advanced Menu Settings
E2B Options (pwd, EXTOFF, AUTONUM, etc.)
Displaying File Extensions in the Menus
Compress the wallpaper bitmap
Note that even though E2B will automatically decompress gzip and LZMA-encoded files, the E2B_Editor can only work with uncompressed files.
Using the E2B_Editor without needing a USB drive
Test different .cfg files (multiple Themese/Skins)
See the \_ISO\docs\mythemes folder and read the ReadMe.txt file for instructions.
This allows you to easily test many different configurations without needing to reboot each time.
Copy the $Default E2B Menu.cfg file to the \_ISO folder.
Then add the $Change_Theme.mnu file to the Main Menu which will allow you to choose any .cfg file.
You can add more .cfg files to the \_ISO\docs\mythemes folder or edit the .mnu file to get .cfg files from a different folder.
Recommended for Easy2Boot (fastest!) - SanDisk Extreme SDCZ880-128G-G46
BitCoin also accepted.