Change the menu headings, language and text prompts, etc.
Tip: Use the \_ISO\E2B_Editor.exe utility to make a \_ISO\MyE2B.cfg file.
- The E2B Main menu heading (HEADING) and the menu foooter help text (HELPTEXT) can be set in the user's \_ISO\MyE2B.cfg file.
- All other text, e.g. sub-menu headings, E2B menu entries, user prompts, F1 help menu text, various messages, etc. are set in E2B the language files. e.g. use this line in \_ISO\MyE2B.cfg file to change the language to Spanish:
if "%LANG%"=="" set LANG=SPANISH
to use the \_ISO\e2b\grub\SPANISH\STRINGS.txt and F1.cfg files. Other supported languages are in separate folders under \_ISO\e2b\grub.
- If you want to change the pre-set E2B menu text or prompts, you must create your own 'language' by copying the existing language files and then modifying them to make your own 'language'. See below for details.
Main menu heading and menu help text
Use the HEADPOS variable to adjust it's position YYXX (default = set HEADPOS=0000).
Use set CENTREHD=1 to center all headings.
Use \x20 to add the first space character if required.
Use the HBTM variable to adjust it's position. e.g. set HBTM=3502 for the 36th line down and the 3rd character position across.
Change the Sub-Menu headings
Change the Sub-Menu entries
Change the E2B text prompts and messages
Change the F1 Help menus
Selecting a different language
Tip: In the \_ISO\docs\Sample mnu Files\E2B menus folder there is a Change_Language.mnu file. Copy this to the \_ISO\MAINMENU folder - the user can then select a different language from the Main menu (if you set a non-English language in your MyE2B.cfg file, make sure that you follow the special 'set LANG' example in the new Sample_MyE2B.cfg file and make sure that there is no \_ISO\STRINGS.txt file present).
If your own language is not available, see here for instructions on how to make you own language files.
Note: If you are not using a standard American English keyboard, you will also need to set a keyboard type variable in the MyE2B.cfg file.See the \_ISO\Sample_MyE2B.cfg file for examples.
- Create a \_ISO\MyE2B.cfg file (e.g. by copying the \_ISO\Sample_MyE2B.cfg file)
- Add a line into the MyE2B.cfg file to set the new language
if "%LANG%"=="" set LANG=SPANISH
Note that by using if "%LANG%"=="" it allows the Change Language.mnu file to work (if you add it in to the Main menu)
- If it exists, delete the \_ISO\STRINGS.txt file because it will always be used instead of any language setting (it will only be present if had you put it there previously!),
For Right-to-Left languages such as Arabic, Urdu and Hebrew (if available), you will also need to set the RTL variable in the MyE2B.cfg file. See here for more details.
Other translations:Some users have donated translations of other E2B files such as the Russian Sample_MyE2B.cfg file and a German CSM \menu.lst file for the MPI Tool Pack. If available, these can be found on the Alternate Download Area sites in the LANGUAGES folder. Note that they may be old versions - so use with care!
Change the E2B Menu headings, menu entries and text
- ISO files and other menu entries that are listed by just their filename, can be changed simply by adding a .txt file
- The E2B Main Menu heading and the menu Footer help text can be defined in a \_ISO\MyE2B.cfg file.
- All other E2B sub-menu headings and menu entries can be changed by making a new STRINGS.txt file - see the section below...
You can cause all menu headings to be centred by adding set CENTREHD=1 into the \_ISO\MyE2B.cfg file (v1.65+). The central position is calculated from the rstart value that has been set in MyE2B.cfg. You can skew the menu headings by using a value other than 1 for CENTREHD - e.g. set CENTREHD=65 will make E2B use 65 instead of the menu width value to calculate the centre of the menu. CENTREHD pads out the heading string with the correct number of spaces, HPAD is used to shift the start of the heading to the right.
How to make a copy of a language
- Copy the whole \_ISO\e2b\grub\SPANISH folder to a new folder in \_ISO\e2b\grub, e.g. \_ISO\e2b\grub\MANUEL
- Edit the \_ISO\e2b\grub\MANUEL\STRINGS.txt and F1.cfg help file as you wish (save in UTF-8 format using Windows NotePad)
- Create or modify the \_ISO\MyE2B.cfg file (the file must start with a !BAT line) to add the line:
if "%LANG%"=="" set LANG=MANUEL
- Copy the \_ISO\e2b\grub\SPANISH\STRINGS.txt file (or whatever STRINGS.txt file you prefer) to the \_ISO folder
- Edit the \_ISO\STRINGS.txt file
- (optional) The F1 Help menu F1.cfg can also be copied to the \_ISO folder and edited
Add your own keyword strings
Let us suppose you have created a .mnu file for a particular payload file.
Also, you have added a menu option into E2B which allows the user to select either English or German from the Main Menu.
Then you will need to use a keyword in your .mnu file so that it is translated into English if the user selects English, and German if the user selects the German language.
You can copy the two language folders (e.g. ENGLISH>MYENG and GERMAN>MYGERMAN) and then add your own $$STRxxxx keywords to each STRINGS.txt file.
and add the keyword $$STRxmnu to each STRINGS.txt file in the MYENG and MYGERMAN folders.
$$STRxmnu=Steve's ISO\nMy special ISO
$$STRxmnu=Diese iso von steve\nMeine spezielle ISO
To avoid conflict with later versions of E2B, I strongly suggest you use your own key names of $$STR followed by exactly four characters beginning with either X, Y or Z - e.g. $$STRX001 or $$STRYhlp or $$STRZm24. You can then use the new keywords in your own .mnu and .txt files. This may make it easier to edit and change your headings and menu entries because all your strings will be in one place.
Note that keywords are case sensitive.
Note: If you use 24-pixel high fonts (set FONTH=24), then only some of the available user fonts (\_ISO\docs\Fonts\*.f24) contain some foreign language glyphs (0020-00FF). So using large fonts with some non-English languages may not work correctly.
-- oOo --
Make your own Language files
Recommended for Easy2Boot (fastest!) - SanDisk Extreme SDCZ880-128G-G46
BitCoin also accepted.