Intel Mac OS X - .DMG and .HFS files
Tip: Use 7zip to examine the file contents.
Note: If you get a boot1:/boot error under VBox, try booting from a real system!
Note: When you run a .dmg or .hfs file, it creates a new partition entry #4. This partition entry is used by E2B and so is normally unused/empty.
E2B will complain about it when you reboot to the E2B drive and it will ask if you want to delete it (if you don't delete it then the E2B menu will not load!).
If you regularly use .dmg and/or .hfs files, you can add a 'partnew' command line to the \_ISO\MyE2B.cfg file to delete the #4 partition every time E2B boots. See the Sample_MyE2B.cfg file for more details.
MacOS High Sierra Installer
Download the prepared clover.img and OSX_10.13.1_Installer.hfs from this article. I used the torrent download.
Install the MPI Tool Kit onto your Windows office system before you begin.
1. Drag-and-drop the clover.img file onto the MPI_FAT32 Desktop shortcut - name the file with a .imgPTN file extension - e.g. OSX_10_13_1_Installer.imgPTN
2. Copy the large .hfs file to the E2B USb drive (e.g. \_ISO\MAINMENU) - rename the file so it has no dots or file extension - e.g. OSX_10_13_1_Installer
3. Copy the OSX_10_13_1_Installer file to the same folder as the .imgPTN file.
For UEFI-booting, this file must be ordered on the disk after the .imgPTN file. If re-ordering the file causes problems, place the file with no extension on the second or third partition.
Note: If you are using E2B v2 and you want to keep the second FAT32 agFM partition, then use a file extension of .imgPTN23 for the first file and copy the large second file which has no extension to Partition 3. e.g.
- Ptn1: NTFS \_ISO\MAINMENU\OSX_10_13_1_Installer.imgPTN23
- Ptn2: FAT32 (agFM files)
- Ptn3: NTFS \OSX_10_13_1_Installer
4. Run \MAKE_THIS_DRIVE_CONTIGUOUS (run as admin).cmd to make all files on the first partition contiguous.
Run Defraggler on any files which are not on the first partition to ensure they are also contiguous.
5. Run \_ISO\SWITCH_E2B.exe and double-click on the OSX_10_13_1_Installer.imgPTN+OSX_10_13_1_Installer entry to switch it in.
If prompted for a partition type for the Auxilliary image file, use 0xAF.
6. Add this line to the large \menu.lst file on the E2B drive:
parttype (hd0,2) 0xAF
Note: You must always boot to the CSM menu first, so that this command is executed and the HFS partition is made visible or use SWITCH_E2B and specify 0xAF as the 2nd partition type. If using agFM, you do not need to use SWITCH_E2B.exe or add the extra line to the \menu.lst file.
7. Now UEFI-boot on a Mac or Macintosh x86 system (must have correct CPU and >4GB RAM).
You can also try the Clover boot option (MBR-booting).
Other .hfs files can be substituted to install different versions.
See RMPrepUSB Tutorial 144 for more details.
agFM UEFI64 booting (agFM v1.51+)
agFM v1.51+ supports the .imgptnREP3 file extension.
- The file will be used to replace partition 3 of the E2B disk
- The file must be contiguous
- The file must be located on the third partition of the E2B USB drive.
- Not supported by E2B (Legacy boot) - only agFM
- The .imgptnREP3 file can contain an ext2/3/4, hfs, FAT, exFAT or NTFS filesystem
For instance, you can use 7Zip to extract the large hfs partition from a .DMG file and save it as a .imgptnREP3 file on the third NTFS partition of your USB drive.
When you UEFI64-boot and select that file, it will replace the current partition 3 with the contents of the new file.
Now you can use agFM to UEFI64-boot from the EFI boot file on the new partition 3 (use agFM F3 key) or use the Macintosh Clover UEFI boot manager to boot from partition 3.
Install Catalina to PC
This video has directions for making a Bootable Catalina install USB drive (untested by me). Note the BIOS settings required, etc.
Once you have made a working USB drive, you can use RMPrepUSB - Drive->File to make a copy of the first large HFS partition to a new file - e.g. Catalina.imgPTNREP3.
You can now copy the .imgPTNREP3 file to partition3 of the E2B+agFM USB drive - UEFI-boot to agFM and select the file - reboot and then boot from the HFS partition in agFM using F3.
Alternatively, you can drag-and-drop the EFI volume onto the MPI_FAT32 Destkop shortcut (MPI ToolKit) to make a Catalina.imgPTN23 file and rename the Catalina.imgPTNREP3 file to Catalina.
PTN1: \_ISO\MAINMENU\Catalina.imgPTN23 (E2B volume)
Now you can MBR or UEFI-boot to switch-in the partition images and then UEFI-boot on the target system.
Recommended for Easy2Boot (fastest flash drive!)
SanDisk Extreme SDCZ880-128G-G46
Fastest USB 3!
See Blog post